Animals in Building

Service Animals and Emotional Support Animals in the Missouri Student Unions:


A person with a disability that a service animal assists or a personal care attendant who handles the animal for a person with a disability.
Service Animal:
Any dog* individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability and meets the definition of “service animal” under the Americans with Disabilities Act (“ADA”) regulations at 28 CFR 35.104. The work or tasks performed must be directly related to the individual’s disability. Examples include animals trained to assist with mobility, seizure detection, medical alert, and severe allergen detection. *Note: Under particular circumstances set forth in the ADA regulations at 28 CFR 35.136(i), a miniature horse may qualify as a service animal.
Emotional Support Animal/Assistance Animal:
An emotional support animal (also often referred to as an Assistance Animal) may provide physical assistance, emotional support, calming, and other kinds of assistance. Emotional support animals are not necessarily trained and do not perform work or tasks that would qualify them as “service animals” under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Animals that are not considered service animals under the ADA may still be permitted under certain circumstances in Residential Life Facilities, with prior approval from the Disability Center.

You may bring an emotional support animal into Residential Life facilities, but you must first establish an accommodation plan with the Disability Center, and request the animal as a housing accommodation; documentation supporting your request is required. You are not permitted to bring an emotional support animal into the MU Student Center, Memorial Student Union, classrooms, meeting rooms, or other university facilities.

You can bring a service animal to Mizzou without prior approval. However, we strongly recommend you contact the Disability Center to ensure a smooth experience bringing the animal to campus. We also recommend you inform Residential Life and Campus Dining Services if you plan to have a service animal living with you.

Contact the Disability Center with any questions.

S5 Memorial Union
Columbia, MO 65211

Amber Cheek E-mail:
Phone: 573-884-7278